Saturday, April 4, 2009

Things I've learned in the last 15 months...

1. All moms get frustrated, irritated and feel isolated at times. It comes with the territory. And while it sucks at the time, you have to try to remember to enjoy the moments when they're small and dependent on you. Lately, when I'm at my wit's end, I take EK's shoes off and admire her chubby feet. I adore her feet and that puts things back into perspective. And Xanax helps, too.

2. Handmade, homemade gifts are extra, extra special. It's much easier to run to the store and pick up a toy than to create something yourself. (I'm speaking for people who have steady paychecks, which I currently do not.) I've learned that time is a much more precious commodity than money when you're a mommy. If a fellow mommy puts time and effort into making a gift, it's extraordinary in my eyes.

3. There will be times that you look back fondly on life before kids. Sleep, shopping, being able to leave the house without three extra bags. That's normal.

4. Even if you have a fantastic child, she can't be perfect all the time. That would go against nature. EK proved that for me at our second egg hunt of the day.

5. A zone defense is the best defense against a toddler. Unless you are an all-star, skip the man-to-man coverage until you can reason with your kids. Ella Kate is a smart offensive player and knows my weaknesses. She makes her moves when I'm distracted and am then two steps behind her while she's heading to the goal. I need Richard around to protect the basket and level the playing field.

6. A strong support system is critical. Parents without a 24-hour family hotline must feel lost. I don't know what we'd do without our family on stand by.

7. The requirements as to what qualifies a "clean" house change after your kids arrive. I was a neat freak before EK joined us. Now, by the time I get her in bed, I have time to do the dishes, smock a dress, pick up her whirlwind from the day and take a shower before I crash into bed. Anything other special cleaning requires planning and someone else to keep her entertained.

8. Good intentions don't equal what will actually happen. I said that EK wasn't going to watch TV, drink juice, or have a pacifier. 0 for 3.

9. Planning is the single most important part of leaving the house. I have an extra bag, always in the closet by the garage, that I can put extra diapers, bibs, spoons, shoes and clothes in. Decide not to take that bag, and we're almost guaranteed to have a catastrophe that will require finding the forgotten items or turning around and going home.

10. No matter how angry, down in the dumps, upset, lonely or aggitated I feel, one sweet smile and "Hey Mama" can melt my heart in an instant. EK knows exactly how to push my buttons, but she also knows how to make it all better. We are so much alike in so many ways and, truthfully, I'm secretly glad to have this time to spend with her.

No comments: