Monday, April 21, 2008

Old-Fashioned Is Now Fashionable

I come from a long line of crafty women. They grew up in rural Alabama without immediate proximity to stores. Actually, my Mimmie had S-E-V-E-N children and never had a drivers' license. With those stats, you had better be crafty because opportunities to head into town were few and far between.


Mimmie taught my mom and aunts to sew like masters. Seriously - really quality stuff. Ella Kate wears the dresses my family made for me when I was a baby. Today's name brands don't even touch these outfits, of course, I'm biased. Here are a few of my handmade baby dresses, circa 1979:
































Now, my friend Jess, who happens to be my precious Godson, Moseley's mom, has started making the cutest baby clothes. She brought Ella Kate a fantastic A-line dress with two different overlaying collars. Absolutely perfect for monogramming!

I'm also including a picture of a pair of shoes she made for my Decatur baby shower. People, I cannot stress how wonderful these shoes are. First of all - I've never seen anything cuter! Secondly, and most importantly - THEY STAY ON HER FEET! Fantastic, I tell you. Jess, you could make serious money making those shoes.

Jess' creations:



































Never one to be left out, I decided that I'm going to learn to sew. I'm big on traditions these days. Mom tried to teach me for years and years, and I hated sitting still for that long. So, this weekend, the Lowery women went to work! We went for a pattern in the "easy" category. Thank goodness. We made three pieces - a cutaway top that is a dress on her now, bloomers for when she wears it as a dress, and capris for when she's taller and it becomes a top.

I'm so proud, but I had LOTS of help on this:







I've bought fabric for more projects, and I have plans to sew a houndstooth A-line Alabama dress embroidered with an elephant that says "Roll Tide" on the top, and "Ella Kate" on the bottom. I cannot wait!

We also spent a good bit of time embroidering onesies and a tote bag that used to have a huge pharmaceutical logo on it. This will be Ella Kate's toy tote.



My favorite onesie is the sailboat design. How cute!!!


Thanks for looking, folks! I hope to have more to share soon. :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so proud of you! That 3 piece outfit is quite an accomplishment! And I mean that!

Brianne Hudgins Photography said...

I'll trade you my photographer for your mom (and her sewing machine)!

Would she like another granddaughter? I'll send Noodle up for auditions!!