Friday, May 9, 2008

Sweet Home Alabama

We are headed to Alabama this weekend for Mother's Day. The second Sunday in May, which happens to be Mother's Day, is Decoration Day at my family's community church in Grassy, Alabama. Don't know where that is? It's a suburb of Lexington, which is a suburb of Florence. Yes, it really is just that small.

It is the epitome of a sweet southern one-room church house. White wood siding outside, stained glass windows, 100+-year-old oak floors and pews. And, it's only open for Decoration, wedding and funerals. My family has been going to church there since God himself was a child. It's a tradition I'm looking forward to passing down to Ella Kate. Especially since her grandmother, who she was named after, is buried there.

The sad part is that we, all 40+ of us, no longer have a place to eat dinner and socialize after the service. My family sold my grandparents' house last fall. It's going to be so strange driving past Mutt and Mimmie's house. I haven't been back since they sold it. I'll probably still hop the fence and take pictures of Ella Kate with Mimmie's buttercup field.

Oh, and while I'm talking about family and traditions: WE'RE MOVING BACK TO ALABAMA! Like how I threw that in? Yep, it looks like we're headed to the great city of Huntsville. We'll have to wait until Richard finishes his MBA, but it never hurts to get excited early, right?!!?

Sweet Home Alabama, indeed.

3 comments:

Brianne Hudgins Photography said...

Hey ~ closer to me! Yeah!!!

Now if I can just figure out how to get out of this forsaken state ....

Jessica said...

wait! what? how do you know so soon? Why not Birmingham! I am excited and sad :) :(

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to God's country Allison! Ha!