Thursday, May 22, 2008

You've Gotta Be Kidding Me...

Allison was a very common name in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I graduated with FOUR other Allisons. I like my name, but dislike the commonality of it.

When choosing our daughter's name, I purposely chose family names that were not on the Social Security Administration's top 50 names of 2007. Ella is after my grandmother and Katherine was a great aunt. I wanted something original. I even took an extra step to call my child by TWO NAMES to make her name unique. I didn't even think that "Ella" and "Kate" went together well.

HMPH.

I learned today that the infant room at daycare will have THREE Ella Kates in July. To give you an idea of why this is such a big deal, there are only EIGHT babies in the room.

~40% of the babies in the infant room will be named Ella Kate.

In one of the cases, I truly believe that the mom saw Ella Kate's name on the wall and liked it - and snatched it up. The other mom used family names, too. I can't blame her for that.

Maybe the crazy celebs have the right idea. There probably won't be another Apple, Tallulah, Scout or Pilot Inspektor in the infant room.

2 comments:

Brianne Hudgins Photography said...

So maybe I should go with Rainbow Sherbet for this next baby .... or Rayne Maker
Anders Onder
Lloyd


There wouldn't be another Lloyd in preschool, would there?

Elisa M said...

I actually know someone with a 4 year old named Ella Kate and she bemoans the same thing!